Softball WA is seeking Expressions of Interest for the position of State Director of Umpiring for up to a one-year term beginning 1 September 2019.
The State Director of Umpiring is integral to the leadership and development of softball umpires across Western Australia. The key responsibilities for the position include (but not limited to):
- The recruitment of suitable members to an Umpiring Committee (to be approved by the Board) to assist the delivery of umpiring activities across Western Australia
- Chair meetings of the Umpiring Committee of Western Australia.
- Provide advice and make recommendations to the Softball WA CEO, Board and relevant sub-committees on umpiring matters for the improvement of rule knowledge by all members of the Association and the improvement of umpiring standards.
- Liaise with local affiliate associations and clubs regularly in order to recruit new and develop umpires along the umpiring accreditation pathway.
- Liaise with the National Director of Umpiring and the National Umpiring Committee on all umpiring matters on behalf of the Association.
- Represent the Association at the Umpiring Meeting(s) and/or Seminar(s) as required by Softball Australia Ltd.
- Carry out any such duties as the Board may direct or as required by the National Director of Umpiring
- Ensure umpires nominating for National Tournaments are of required National Standard, meet the required criteria and rank them in order of merit.
- With assistance of the Umpiring Committee, implement the approved program of the Association to recruit, develop and qualify members as Umpires.
- Submit to the Association’s Office a report on the umpiring activities in Western Australia for publication in the Association’s Annual Report.
- Submit a brief report of the activities to the Board monthly.
- Hand over to the incoming State Director of Umpiring within 14 days all records of the Association.
Persons interested should have a good knowledge of softball umpiring and the NOAS accreditation system. They should also have good time management and organisational skills; good communication skills (verbal and written); have the ability to coordinate other volunteers, and be competent with Microsoft Word and Excel.
Applications should be submitted by 5pm Friday 30th August to email@example.com and applicants are encouraged to attach a cover letter and resume outlining the skills, experience and reasons why they should be preferred for the position. Applicants must be affiliated to Softball WA in order to be considered.
Please note this is a voluntary position only, and at times the State Director of Umpiring will be required to travel for meetings, seminars and training where the Association will cover relevant associated costs.
For any further information or queries, please contact the Softball WA CEO on 6181 3900.